Equip Health’s mission is for everyone with an eating disorder to have access to affordable, quality treatment, regardless of geography. Developed in partnership with leading researchers, Equip Health’s evidence-based program guides a care team of healthcare professionals and support personnel as they deliver coordinated medical and behavioral treatment to patients.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect personal information from our program participants, family members, and caregivers, as well as the participants’ care teams, which may consist of physicians, other health care professionals, and support personnel. These individuals may provide information about themselves (e.g., patients who sign up to participate) as well as about each other (e.g., physicians who provide information about program participants).
This information may include:
- Health and medical information, such as medical insurance details, information about physical and mental health conditions and diagnoses, treatments for medical conditions, genetic information, family medical history, and medications an individual may take, including the dosage, timing, and frequency
- Personal and business contact information and preferences, such as name, email address, mailing address, phone number, and emergency contact information
- Biographical and demographic information, such as date of birth, age, gender, marital status, and information regarding any parents or legal guardians
- Audio and video feed, when you engage in Equip Health’s telemedicine services. We may record your audio and video conversations for quality and training purposes, and to advance and optimize the telemedicine program
- Transaction information, such as information about payments to and from you and other details of products or services you have purchased from us
- Feedback or correspondence, such as information you provide when you contact us with questions, feedback, or otherwise correspond with us online
- Other information you provide to us, such as in emails, on phone calls, or in other correspondence with Equip Health or its service providers.
- Device data, such as your computer or mobile device operating system type and version number, manufacturer and model, device identifier, browser type, screen resolution, IP address, and general location information such as city, state or geographic area; and
- Online activity data, such as the website you visited before browsing to our website, and information about your use of and actions on our websites and mobile apps, including pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and length of access, and how you respond to emails we send you. We may track certain actions you take on the Site such as the content of searches performed on the Site and information that you enter into the Site (e.g. your name and email address when signing up for an email newsletter, requesting more information about us and our Services, etc.).
How We Use Your Personal Information
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Establish and maintain your account
- Facilitate your interaction with peers, coaches, health care professionals and others, at your request
- Provide information about our services through announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages
- Enable the services’ security features, such as two-factor authentication
- Understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with the services and our communications
- Provide support and maintenance for the services, analyze and improve our services and to develop new products and services
- To respond to your requests, questions and feedback
For research and public health purposes. We may use your personal information for research and public health initiatives, including to prepare for symposia, research publications, conferences, and scientific and educational events. In connection with this research, we will not disclose your name or contact details.
To comply with law. We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
For compliance, fraud prevention, and safety. We may use your personal information and disclose it to law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties as we believe necessary or appropriate to: (a) protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims); (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the services; and (c) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
With your consent. We may offer you opportunities to opt in to allow us to collect, use and share your information for other purposes, and we will do so only if you opt in.
How We Share Your Personal Information
Affiliates. We may share your personal information with our corporate parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates that are involved in providing the services to you, such as EQUIP Health Medical PC.
Clinical research organizations, healthcare organizations or healthcare providers, researchers, institutions, and publishers for the research and public health purposes described above. We will not disclose your name or contact details to these organizations.
Your family members, caregivers, and care team. By participating in our programs, you direct us to share some of your information with your family members, caregivers, and care team. For example, they may be able to view the contents of your monitoring history, treatment outcomes, and other information contained within the services. Your care team may obtain the information about you through the services and store it in their own systems. The services may permit your care team to see the names and other identifying information about your other health care providers and their organizations to facilitate collaborative care.
Your insurance provider. When you participate in programs sponsored by your insurance provider, you also direct us to provide certain information about your use of our services to the insurance provider, including engagement and outcome metrics. We may also provide some of your information to confirm your eligibility for our services.
Third-party platforms. By enabling features or functionality that connect your account to a third-party platform (such as by logging in to the website or mobile application using your account with the third-party, providing your API key or similar access token for the services to a third-party, or otherwise linking your account with the services to a third-party’s services), you chose to disclose certain of your personal information with those platforms. We do not control the third party’s use of your personal information.
Professional advisors. We may disclose your personal information to professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
For compliance, fraud prevention and safety. We may share your personal information for the compliance, fraud prevention and safety purposes described above.
With your consent. We may offer you opportunities to opt in to allow us to collect, use and share your information for other purposes, and we will do so only if you opt in.
Access or update your information. If you have registered to use our services, you may review and update certain personal information in your account profile by logging into the account or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Cookies and browser web storage. Most browsers let you remove or reject cookies. To do this, follow the instructions in your browser settings. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. Please note that if you set your browser to disable cookies, the services may not work properly. Similarly, your browser settings may allow you to clear your browser web storage.
Do Not Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” or similar signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Equip Health maintains organizational, technical and administrative measures designed to protect against unauthorized access, misuse, loss, disclosure, alteration and destruction of personal information we maintain. Unfortunately, data transmission over the Internet cannot be guaranteed as completely secure. Therefore, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of personal information. In the event that Equip Health is required to notify you about a situation involving your data, we may do so by email or telephone to the extent permitted by law.
Equip Health retains personal information for as long as necessary to (a) provide our services; (b) comply with legal obligations; (c) resolve disputes; and (d) enforce the terms of customer agreements.
Notice To California Residents
The California Consumer Privacy Act provides California consumers with the right to obtain from us information about personal information about you that we collect, use, and disclose. You can exercise your rights by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Creation of Anonymous Data for Analytics
We may create anonymous data from personal information by excluding information that makes the data personally identifiable, and use that anonymous data for our lawful business purposes. We de-identify any patient data in accordance with applicable HIPAA requirements.
International Data Transfers
Equip Health is headquartered in the United States and has affiliates and service providers in other countries, and your personal information may be transferred to the United States or other locations outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction.
Other Sites and Services
For your convenience and information, we may provide links to websites and other third-party content that is not owned or operated by Equip Health. These links are not an endorsement, authorization or representation that we are affiliated with that third party. We do not exercise control over third party websites or services, and are not responsible for their actions. Other websites and services follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the other websites you visit and services you use.
Equip will not discriminate against you for exercising your privacy rights as set forth herein. If you choose to exercise your privacy rights, you will not receive discriminatory treatment or a lesser degree of service from us.
NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Equip Health Medical, P.C. and its associated professional entities (collectively “Equip Health”) is committed to obtaining, maintaining, using and disclosing your protected health information (“PHI”) in a manner that protects your privacy. We urge you to read this Notice of Privacy Practices (this “Notice”) carefully in order to understand both our commitment to the privacy of your PHI and your rights.
Equip Health is required by law to maintain the privacy of your PHI and to provide you with a notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to PHI. PHI is information about you, including basic demographic information, that may identify you and that relates to your past, present or future physical or mental health condition, treatment or payment for health services. This Notice describes how we may use and disclose your PHI to carry out treatment, payment or health care operations, and for other specified purposes that are permitted or required by law. The Notice also describes your rights with respect to your PHI.
Equip Health reserves the right to amend this Notice from time to time. When material changes are made, Equip Health will promptly post the updated Notice on the Equip Health website at www.equip.health, and provide a copy to you at your request. Equip Health is required to abide by the terms of the Notice currently in effect.
I. Uses and Disclosures of Your Information
Equip Health may use or disclose your PHI for the following purposes:
- Treatment. Equip Health may use or disclose your PHI for purposes of providing your medical treatment. For example, we may disclose your PHI to your primary care physician if needed in order to coordinate your medical care.
- Payment. Equip Health may use or disclose your PHI for purposes of billing and collecting payment for our services. For example, we may disclose your PHI to your health plan in order to obtain payment for our services.
- Health Care Operations. Equip Health may use or disclose your PHI to facilitate our health care operations. For example, we may review your PHI internally as part of an audit to confirm the quality of services being delivered to our patients.
- As Required by Law. Equip Health may use or disclose your PHI if required to do so by federal or state law.
- Disclosures to your Representative and/or Individuals Involved in Your Care. Equip Health may disclose your PHI to your family members who are involved in your care, including those who are responsible for paying for your care. Equip Health may also disclose your PHI to your personal representative, as established under applicable law or to an administrator or authorized individual associated with your estate.
- Disclosures to Business Associates. Equip Health may disclose your PHI to certain of our service providers that have agreed to maintain the privacy and security thereof. For example, we may disclose your PHI to Equip Health, Inc., which provides administrative support services to Equip Health.
- De-Identification of PHI. Equip Health may de-identify your PHI, meaning that Equip Health would remove all identifying features as determined by law to make it extremely unlikely that the information could identify you. De-identified information no longer qualifies as PHI, meaning that Equip Health may use and disclose it for purposes not set forth in this Notice.
Equip Health may also use or disclose your PHI in other ways as permitted by law. Generally, these are ways that serve the public health and/or research. Specifically:
- Equip Health may use or disclose your PHI as needed to assist with public health and safety issues and may disclose your PHI to law enforcement officials when needed, to health oversight agencies for authorized activities and for special government functions including national security needs.
- Equip Health may disclose your PHI as needed to organ procurement organizations, medical examiners and funeral directors in the event of an individual’s death.
- Equip Health may use or disclose your PHI to address workers’ compensation claims.
- Equip Health may use or disclose your PHI in response to a court or administrative order, or in response to a subpoena.
Uses and disclosures of PHI for purposes other than those described above, including for marketing purposes and disclosures that would constitute the sale of PHI, will not be made in the absence of a written authorization signed by you or your personal representative. Once you sign an authorization, you may revoke it by contacting Equip Health at email@example.com. However, any use or disclosure of your PHI already taken in reliance on your authorization prior to your revocation cannot be reversed.
II. Your Rights Regarding Your PHI
You have the following rights with respect to your PHI:
- You have the right to request restrictions on certain uses and disclosures of your PHI. Equip Health will consider every request to restrict uses or disclosures of your PHI and will strive to honor those that are reasonable. However, Equip Health is not legally required to honor each request unless the requested restriction involves a disclosure not required by law to a health plan for purposes of payment or health care operations, and you have paid for the applicable services in full, out of pocket. With respect to any requested restriction, if Equip Health agrees to honor it, we will document such restriction and continue to abide by it.
- You have the right to receive confidential communications of your PHI from Equip Health. Specifically, you may request that Equip Health communicate with you about your PHI using a specific means, phone number or address. Equip Health will accommodate reasonable requests regarding confidential communications of your PHI.
- Subject to applicable state law, you have the right to inspect and copy your PHI. You also have the right to access and receive your PHI electronically if readily producible in such format.
- You have the right to correct or update your PHI. If you believe that there is an error in your PHI, you may request that Equip Health update it as appropriate.
- You have the right to receive an accounting of certain disclosures of your PHI made by Equip Health. Upon receipt of such request, Equip Health will provide you with a list of disclosures made by Equip Health in the prior six (6) years, not including certain types of disclosures such as, by way of example only, those made directly to you or pursuant to your written authorization.
- You have the right to obtain a paper copy of this Notice upon request.
To exercise any of these rights, please send written communication to Equip Health at firstname.lastname@example.org.
III. Breach Notification
Equip Health is required by law to notify you in the event that your PHI is subject to a security breach unless Equip Health reasonably determines that, after fully investigating the situation and assessing the risk presented, there is a low probability that the privacy or security of your PHI has been compromised. You will be notified without unreasonable delay and in no event later than sixty (60) days following discovery of the security breach. Such notification will include information about the security breach, including steps that Equip Health has taken to mitigate potential harm, and a contact person to whom you may address additional questions.
IV. Questions, Comments or Complaints
If you have any questions or comments about this Notice, or if you have any complaints about Equip Health’s privacy practices, please contact us at email@example.com. You may also file a complaint with the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Equip Health will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint.
PO Box 131747, Carlsbad, California 92013-1747
Last Updated and Effective: February 10, 2022