Equip is a virtual program helping families recover from eating disorders at home with comprehensive, gold-standard care created by experts in the field and people in recovery. Equip’s five-person care teams include dietitians, physicians, therapists, and mentors who deliver wrap-around support to provide families healing and lasting recovery.
We created Equip to increase access to evidence-based treatment for all people affected by eating disorders. In line with this mission, we are committed to partnering closely with insurance companies and ensuring our team, patients, treatment, and brand reflect the diversity of those affected by eating disorders.
About the role:
You will be Equip’s legal expert and in-house counsel for all matters related to health care regulatory matters, contracting, and partnerships. As part of the leadership team, you will advise on risk and risk mitigation across the business. This may include state and federal laws relating to privacy and security, licensure, corporate practice of medicine, and HIPAA, among others. You will be responsible for assessing contracts with partners including payers and vendors.
A successful candidate will be able to ensure legal compliance and limit risk exposure while strategically navigating the complex and rapidly evolving regulatory landscape in which we operate.
What you will do:
- As a member of Equip’s strategy team, work cross-functionally to determine the legal strategy for geographic and line of business expansion, ensuring we can move quickly while remaining compliant
- Develop functional plans for managing legal matters, including activities to be performed in-house or through external counsel, to efficiently manage the company’s legal activities and minimize risk for the business
- Manage and direct general corporate matters, including corporate organization, compliance, general transaction support, regulatory matters, risk management, financing activities, fundraising, and general contract management
- Serve as a collaborative legal resource to all components of the organization, including healthcare providers, technology, HR, and Finance teams.
- Assess and stay informed of the rapidly evolving regulatory landscape across the geographies and specialties in which Equip practices or intends to practice
- Draft and/or review all contracts with providers, payors, and other potential partners or vendors
- Review and manage Equip’s contracts with partners and potential partners
- Advise on decisions and management related to regulations, applying judgment to legal risk vs. business need
- Coordinate board meetings and act as the corporate secretary preparing meeting minutes and maintaining appropriate corporate records
- JD with 10+ years of general corporate legal or regulatory experience in healthcare with general counsel experience in either in-house, in private practice or a combination of both
- Articulate problem solver with knowledge of healthcare and privacy regulations, including corporate practice of medicine, telemedicine, fraud and abuse rules, HIPAA, and state privacy laws
- Ability to take a strategic view of the business and carefully weigh all of the risks it faces against the opportunities that each would prevent
- Excellent negotiating skills, keen analytical abilities, a pragmatic approach to problem-solving, as well as a track record of successfully handling complex business and legal issues
- Significant experience supporting business development, marketing, and client success teams, including managing a high volume of employer and health plan customer contracts and responding to customer regulatory, compliance and privacy requirements
- Experience providing legal support to medical providers operating in a multi-state telemedicine practice
- Licensed in any state, and eligible to be licensed in California under the in-house licensure requirements
- A flexible self-starter with ability to provide high-quality work on a wide range of matters, often in an extremely fast-paced environment
Bonus if you have the following:
- Experience in a startup or high growth company preferred
- Passion for mental health and eating disorder treatment and the mission to expand access to treatment
Competitive salaries and bonuses, flexible hours from home, flexible time-off, health benefits, career development opportunities, and exciting team retreats are among the myriad benefits you'll experience while working at Equip.
Equip is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.