Backend Engineer (Remote Position)
Equip is a virtual program helping families recover from eating disorders at home with comprehensive, gold-standard care created by experts in the field and people in recovery. Equip’s five-person care teams include dietitians, physicians, therapists, and mentors who deliver wrap-around support to provide families healing and lasting recovery.
We created Equip to increase access to evidence-based treatment for all people affected by eating disorders. In line with this mission, we are committed to partnering closely with insurance companies and ensuring our team, patients, treatment, and brand reflect the diversity of those affected by eating disorders.
We've got a ton of interesting technical problems to solve around serverless microservices, workflow coordination, secure messaging and video, system reliability, security, privacy, and more. You’ll take part in the engineering-related decisions and technical follow-through that will help Equip continue to make a real positive difference in the world.
About the role:
Using your knowledge of API and service-oriented design, SQL, and your ability to write clean, scalable, testable code, you’ll build and extend Equip’s APIs, services, and applications. Collaborating with Product Designers, Product Managers, and Software Engineers, you’ll utilize development best practices to help deliver compelling products.
What you will do:
- Define and implement features in our web applications to provide telehealth services to our patients
- Use best practices while building services leveraging AWS storage and compute
- Build secure, performant, and scalable APIs as well as integrate with 3rd party APIs Work effectively in the data layer with a “SQL first” approach
- Collaborate with Product Designers, Product Managers, and Software Engineers to deliver compelling user-facing products
- Identify and resolve performance and scalability issues
- Focus on code quality improvements using unit and integration testing, code reviews, and continuous integration
- Build easily deployable, maintainable, scalable, and testable systems
- Write clean, robust, testable code
- Evolve our team culture and processes through collaboration, participation in sprint rituals and retros, and mentorship
- 3+ years experience developing and maintaining production-quality software
- A strong desire to continuously improve your own work as well as others
- The ability to operate with a high level of independence and to cope with ambiguity
- Comfort deploying and maintaining systems at the infrastructure level
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills geared towards technical and non-technical audiences
Bonus if you have the following:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience developing software in HIPAA, HITRUST, or other high security environments
- Experience building serverless application and APIs
- Experience developing systems and services in Java via microframeworks
- Experience working remotely as part of a distributed team
Competitive salaries and bonuses, flexible hours from home, Flexible time-off, health benefits, career development opportunities, and exciting team retreats are among the myriad benefits you'll experience while working at Equip.
Equip is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.